Kaboom! Prototype Lithium Ion Battery Explodes at GM Lab

Gases from prototype battery blamed for blast at GM Tech Center | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com.

Gases from a  prototype lithium ion battery at a GM test lab are blamed for an explosion that blew out windows and injured a worker at the Technical Center in Warren, Michigan.

A battery produced by A123 in Massachusetts was being put through its paces in a laboratory setting  when it blew.   The same company will be supplying batteries for the 2013 EV version of the Chevy Spark.

While considerable structural damage occurred, only one worker was injured badly enough to be hospitalized, according to info from GM.